Mount Carmel Guild School and Preschool is approved by the New Jersey Department of Education and serves children ages 3-7 who are eligible for special education and related services
The staff of Mount Carmel Guild School and Preschool is committed to the needs of our children and their families. It is our goal to provide the best possible level of education and related services to our children while supporting the parents and families in accessing additional needed services in the home and community.
Core Curriculum Content Standards (Un-graded Preschool, Preschool, Kindergarten) are taught using a developmental approach and ABA/Discrete trials.
Speech and Language Therapy
- Receptive & Expressive Language Skills
- Augmentative Communication
- Oral Motor Therapy
- Feeding Therapy
- Sensory Integration
- Fine Motor Skills
- Visual Motor Skills
- Visual Perceptual Skills
- Feeling identification & expression
- Social Skills
- Anger Management
- Sensory Motor Development
- Gait and Mobility Training
- Gross Motor Skills
- Vision and auditory screening
- Health support for families
- Creative Movement
- MIDI Technology
(Musical Instrument Digital Interface)
A token economy is in place that rewards students for appropriate behavior. There are two components to the program:
Picture schedules are also used to visually cue desired behaviors while tangible rewards (a hug, high five, gold fish) and verbal praise (cheering, hurrays, and clapping) are used as reinforcers to immediately reward appropriate behavior.
- "Smiley" faces that are earned by exhibiting appropriate behavior each period of the day.
- An end of the day reward for earning at least 80% of daily smiley faces.
Parent Education/Support Group
Parent meetings are held regularly to provide caretakers with the necessary tools to foster their child’s physical, social, emotional and academic growth across environmental settings. Parents are afforded the opportunity to exchange ideas and join a network of caretakers faced with the challenge of rearing children with special needs.
- Fall Meet & Greet for parents to meet each teacher and therapist(s) involved in their child’s education.
- Teachers communicate with parents daily via notebook in backpack.
- Accessibility to school nurse for health questions/concerns.
- Teachers, therapists and nurse are available for phone and in-person consults upon request.