Servicing Preschool and School Aged Children for Over Half a Century
Catholic Charities Child Study Services, is committed to providing high quality educational assessment services for children in Essex, Union, Bergen and Hudson Counties. With the consent of the childís parents, our CST evaluates the child and determines his or her eligibility for special education services.
One Child Study Team member serves as the case manager for each student with a disability. The case manager is exceptionally knowledgeable regarding the studentís educational needs and program. He/She coordinates the progress, monitoring, and evaluation of the effectiveness of the Individualized Service Plan. The case manager helps facilitate communication between the home and school. He/She also coordinates the annual review and reevaluation process.
Upon completion of the evaluation(s) and prior to placement in special education, annual goals and objectives are written with the valuable contribution of the parents, classroom and special education teacher. Planning meetings are scheduled at a mutually convenient time.
Some options for placement may include:
For children in NONPUBLIC schools, on contact with the local district, we provide:
- Instruction for the student in the general education classroom with support. (curricular or instructional modifications, resource rooms, supplementary instruction, speech-language related services, assistive-adaptive technology, specialized instruction, one to one teacher aide and other related services)
- A special class in the childís local school district
- An approved private school
CONSULTATIONS are provided for teachers, principals and parents on what to look for in referring children for examination and classification.
- One or more structural classroom observations
- Functional assessment of academic performance
- A pre-evaluation meeting with the parent/guardian, classroom teacher, special education teacher and child study team member to discuss evaluation procedures and parents rights.
- Child Study Team evaluations
- Additional disciplines are utilized, if indicated. (occupational, neurological, central auditory processing testing, psychiatric, etc.)
IN-DEPTH TALKS with parents and teachers about the individual studentís development, performance, and educational needs.
CLASSIFICATION CONFERENCING is conducted for those students who will need special educational services or speech and language services. Conference will include the student (if appropriate), parent/guardian, teacher, special educational teacher, and child study team members.
ANNUAL REVIEWS are conducted to monitor the effectiveness of the ISP and to recommend modifications, when necessary.
In order to assist the ISP Team, our CHILD STUDY TEAM can provide other specialists, as needed, such as audiologists, physicians, psychiatrists, neurologists, counselors and school nurses, to assist in the evaluation and planning process.
CATHOLIC CHARITIES IS:
CATHOLIC CHARITITES CHILD STUDY TEAM OFFERS:
- Service oriented
- Not for profit
- New Jersey based
- Qualified, certified, professional staff
- Up-dated testing materials
- Informed consultations
- Personalized approach